Belinda Maisterra, Horace Mann’s First Grade Teacher
Name: Belinda Maisterra
Role: First Grade Teacher
Years at Horace Mann: 24 years
Describe your family and background:
- Born and raised in Los Angeles, West Hollywood area.
- Married for 23 years.
- Went to school in LAUSD, Hancock Park Elementary, John Burroughs Jr. High, and Fairfax High. Go Lions!
- Graduated from Cal State Northridge with a BA in ART2d (illustration)
- Cal State LA for teacher credential
- Worked as an aide in LAUSD for 7 years before substitute teaching in BH
- 2 children, Joseph (20), Emma (18) both graduates of Horace Mann and BHHS
- Dog, Ruby (Pitt bull) and cat, Finn at home
What is something that most people don’t know about you?
Well, now it’s no secret that I love music and playing in my band, SORRY. It’s a great creative outlet and a fun way to see friends on a weekly basis when we rehearse. I am an avid crocheter and would love more free time to work on projects. I am a 3-Star honored Thespian from play production at Fairfax High, hence my hamming it up in class all the time.
What do you love most about Horace Mann? What should our community most treasure about Horace Mann?
What I love about Horace Mann is the dedication of the teachers. I have made some of my closest friends at HM.
What is a favorite memory of the time you’ve been at Horace Mann?
I love the feeling of thinking back to years past and the students I had. They often come back to visit. I love when they tell me I haven’t changed a bit. Liars!
What are some words of wisdom you want to share?
I remember feeling so grateful to my mentor teachers when I started HM. They supported me and helped me fit in both socially and professionally. They were the best role models for a new teacher. I recommend anyone new to HM to tap into the “oldies” to get the HM vibe. We have a lot of knowledge.