1. How do I contact my child’s teacher?
Send a note to the teacher, call the school to leave the teacher a voicemail message, or email the teacher at his/her school email address (usually the teacher’s first initial and last name followed by @bhusd.org – e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. How can I contact my child if I have to give him/her a message during the day? Are cell phones allowed?
Call the office, and school staff will contact child to relay the message. Students are not allowed to use cell phones during the school day (although they are allowed to use them before and after school). Please note that if school staff becomes aware that a student has a cell phone during the school day (i.e., if the student takes the cell phone out of a backpack or pocket for any reason, or if it the phone makes any noise), the cell phone will be confiscated.
3. What supplies does my child need?
Each teacher provides a list of necessary supplies to students when they enter the class. Different classrooms and different grade levels have different requirements. For the first day, elementary students should simply bring a backpack and a lunch. Teachers will give students everything else they need until the parent has an opportunity to gather the items on the supply list if they can. Similarly, middle school students should bring a notebook, notebook paper, pen, pencil, and lunch, and this will be sufficient until the student has the opportunity to meet the requirements for each class if they can.
4. How often will my child have PE? Does he need a uniform?
K-5 has PE for 100 minutes per week (20 minutes daily for students in 1st through 3rd grade; 50 minutes twice per week for students in 4th and 5th grades). No uniform is required for elementary students.
6-8 has PE for 200 minutes per week (50 minutes four times per week – on the fifth day, students have a study hall in lieu of PE). Middle school students are required to wear a uniform, which may be purchased from the Husky Student Store.
5. If my child forgets his lunch, how can I get it to him?
Only in an emergency, parents may bring lunches to the school office. Lunches should be labeled with the student's name and left on the side table. Students can come to the office during nutrition, recess or lunch to retrieve their lunches. However, please be aware that the office will not contact the classroom to inform the students that their lunch is waiting for them - students have been informed that it is their responsibility to come to the office to check to see if such items have been left for them.
6. Is there a dress code? What is it?
Yes there is. It is in the Student Responsibility Contract and the BHUSD Discipline Policy and Procedures Handbook. Students must wear clothes that are neat, clean, unfrayed and in good repair. They may not wear attire which bears inappropriate logos or detracts from the academic environment of the school or affects the safety of the individual (head bands, hats/caps, sagging pants, hanging belts, low cut necklines, halter tops, spaghetti straps, blouses or pants that expose the stomach or undergarments, etc.). Lipstick, colored lip gloss, and make-up are NOT permitted, and student hair shall be neat, clean, and natural looking in color and style. Students shall not wear thick, bulky chains, inordinately long earrings, or wallet chains. Wearing inappropriate clothing to school may result in the parent being contacted and the student being required to return home to change to more suitable attire.
7. What is the earliest I may drop my off my child? What is the procedure for drop off/pick up?
Students may arrive at school beginning at 7:30 a.m. All students should be dropped off at the gate to the playground on Charleville Blvd., west of the front gate.
8. I am a working parent. What is the latest I may pick up my child? What type of supervision is available?
The latest pick up is 4:00 p.m. There are playground aide supervision on the playground until that time. If a child is in the Recreation and Parks Department's Adventure Camp program, the latest pick up time is 6:00 p.m.
9. Are there places where my child can do Homework after school? Is library open after school? Is there peer tutoring?
Students may go to the library for quiet study until 4:00 p.m. daily. One day a week, the library has extended hours and is open until 6:00 p.m. The Beverly Hills Recreation Department provides tutoring to students on Tuesday afternoons; for more information about this program, please contact the main office.
10. What are the options for lunch? What is the cost to purchase a school lunch?
Students in kindergarten through eighth grades may either bring their own lunches or purchase lunch. Lunch is purchased on-line a day and a half ahead of the day needed. Remember, that forgotten lunches should be brought to the office and this should be the exception and not the rule.
11. Are there Kosher and vegetarian options available?
Yes there are.
12. How can I find contact information for other children in my child’s class?
The Horace Mann Purple Pages will be distributed to all students as a gift from the PTA. The Purple Pages is a student/parent directory that lists contact information for students in every class. Replacement copies will be available for sale in the Husky Student Store for $25.
13. What are the opportunities for volunteering?
The PTA has an extensive list of things for which they need volunteers. Teachers in the lower grades use volunteers in the classroom, on field trips and to do some tasks at home. Some parents volunteer to help in the office. In addition, parents are encouraged to speak with members of the PTA Executive Board, School Site Council, and school administration to find out about opportunities to serve in volunteer and leadership capacities within the PTA and/or Site Council.
14. Is there a system for setting up carpools? What are the rules for bike riders and skateboarders?
There is no office system for car pools, but if you would like to find one, ask the office staff. They will help you to get the word out. Students in 4th grade and up my bring bicycles, skateboards, or scooters to school. They must wear a helmet at all times and must secure their bike with a lock inside the bike rack area. If a child children rides a skateboards or scooters to school, they must wear a helmet. NO BIKE, SKATEBOARD OR SCOOTER RIDING IS ALLOWED ON SCHOOL GROUNDS.
15. What are the procedures in case of an emergency? In such an event, where do I meet my child?
There are official procedures outlined in our School Safety Plan. In addition, we practice emergency procedures through periodic drills. In an emergency, students will be picked up at our reunion gate on playground (the gate located at the corner of Charleville and Robertson Blvds.).
16. Are there late days and alternative schedules?
Every Wednesday school begins at 9:30 a.m. In addition, all students are released from school early on a periodic basis (monthly for Middle School students; for Elementary School students, this happens over a week in November and then monthly beginning in February). For specific dates and times, please refer to the school calendar or contact the school office.
17. Is there playground supervision available on early dismissal days?
There are playground aides on duty on the playground between the time when students are dismissed and 4:00 p.m.
18. What documents do I need to bring to register and where do I go?
Register at your neighborhood school. You need:
- Current lease or rental agreement listing the names of adult and student OR a deed, mortgage payment or current property tax bill for a residential property in Beverly Hills. This document must list the name of the parent registering the student; if it is a lease or rental agreement it must also list the student’s name as an occupant
- A current Edison bill in the parent’s name
- Proof of Immunizations
- Birth Certificate OR passport verifying the student’s date of birth
19. If I am volunteering at school, do I have to check in? Sign in? Wear a badge? What are visitor procedures? Are there parking provisions?
All visitors and volunteers sign in at the office and receive a badge. When they complete finish working on campus, they turn in the badge and sign out before leaving. Parking is available on the street; please be sure to comply with the posted signs.