August 2, 2018
Greetings Horace Mann Families,
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year! I hope that you had a wonderful summer and are looking forward to the start of school. Our staff has been hard at work this summer preparing for an exciting year ahead. We look forward to working with the children of our community and supporting the outstanding traditions of academic success at Horace Mann.
Our first day of school will be Monday, August 13th. Normal start times will be 8:00 a.m. for middle school students and 8:30 a.m. for Kindergarten through 5th grade. Every Wednesday will be our “Late Start Wednesday” when all grades Kindergarten through 8th grade will begin school at 9:30 a.m.
Join us for our Welcome Back Brunch on Sunday, August 12th, for all Horace Mann families from 10:00am-11:30am. And, from 9:00am-10:00am, there will be a Kindergarten and New Families Social. It is a very special event that includes school information and class lists. Parents can learn how to get involved, and purchase PE uniforms, agendas, and Husky Wear.
Once again, our “Back to School Packet” is available to you online at http://hm.bhusd.org by clicking the “Enrollment” link on the left side of the page. Please be sure to follow the instructions in the letter you received in the mail around July 1st from the BHUSD district office about completing the annual re-registration process, which includes the Aeries Parent Portal. It is through this online Parent Portal that you will complete and print out the most important re-registration forms, leaving you with no paper forms to complete this year! Yes, that’s right, no paper forms to complete! The only two required documents you must print and return with your child on the first day of school is the following: TWO copies of the printout of your updated Parent Portal emergency contact info (aka the “Emergency Card”) ONE copy of the “Annual Acknowledgement Form” (which is available as a printable PDF from within the Portal).
Our goals this school year focus on student safety and academic achievement. We want all students, at all ability levels, to have an incredible school year. This will include challenging and engaging activities every day in their classrooms. We will offer support and intervention for students who may need extra assistance. And, we will continue to build a culture where students take pride and responsibility as a member of our school community. We are confident that each student will experience academic and social -emotional growth this year
As we engage in our work, we want to ensure that you are a well-informed partner and we encourage you to share your ideas and concerns with us. If you have not already done so, please register to receive our PTA Newsletter, the “Husky Howler” by going to http://hm.bhusd.org/pta clicking on the “newsletter” link and entering your email address. Stay up-to-date on happenings at school by following us on Twitter at @HMHuskies. In addition, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule time to talk with me either in person or by telephone.
The Horace Mann staff and I appreciate the opportunity to work with you to help your child thrive. Your involvement is vital to our success, and we appreciate all that you do. As always...GO HUSKIES!!!
Juliet Fine, Principal
Snapshot of Important Dates for August:
- Tuesday, 8/7 from 5:00pm-5:45pm-Horace Mann Kindergarten-3rd Grade Parent Welcome Back Meeting Focus on Student Safety and Leadership (parents only) in Auditorium
- Tuesday, 8/7 from 6:00pm-6:45pm-Horace Mann 4th-8th Grade Parent Meeting on Welcome Back Meeting Focus on Student Safety and Leadership (parents only) in Auditorium
- Wednesday, 8/8 from 8:00am-1:00pm- WEB 6th Grade Orientation (students only), enter through MPR on Charleville.
- Sunday, 8/12 from 9:00am-10:30am-Kindergarten and New Families Social
- Sunday, 8/12 from 10:00am-11:30am- Welcome Back Brunch for all HM families
- Monday, 8/13 from 8:00am-3:16pm- First Day of School for Middle School
- Monday, 8/13 starts at 8:30am-First Day of School for Elementary
- Wednesday, 8/15 starts at 9:30am- Late Start Wednesday
- Thursday, 8/23 at 6:00pm- Back to School Night for K-5 and early dismissal
- Monday, 8/27-Kindergarten Split Schedule begins
- Tuesday, 8/28 at 8:30am-PTA General Meeting
- Thursday, 8/30 at 6:00pm- Back to School Night for Middle School and early dismissal