Hi HM Community,
We are well on our way to a successful year. We are all working through the details of opening a new school together. As always, thank you to those community members who have volunteered to help to solve problems: valet, distributing textbooks, cleaning, organizing, meeting to offer solutions, etc. It is with your help that solutions are being enacted. Thank you to those who continue to post about our amazing community. Please always remember to ask for clarification and/or check facts before commenting on or posting negatives. We expect that all community members are modeling our school expectations for students.
Be an Upstander
I have always believed that if I am not part of the solution, …
- Drop Off/Pick Up Tips:
- Drop Off: Some are thrilled with Drop Off. Some are not. How can I help? How can I maximize my experience? Thank you to the lovely mom who drives the white BMW SUV and arrives just after 8:00. She drives up, girls are ready to go, car stops, door is opened, “Have a great day!”; off she goes. The whole experience literally takes 3-5 seconds.
- Kids have backpacks in lap, ready to go.
- Goodbyes and kisses are taken care of before the door is opened.
- Parents stay in the car.
- If you arrive before 8:15, you will coast right through.
- 8:17-8:22, traffic builds.
- If you arrive to school after 8:22, you WILL hit traffic.
- If you drop off at Charleville, DO NOT drive down Hamel to get there.
- DO NOT block neighbor driveways.
- Use crosswalks.
- DO NOT run your child across the street. It is unsafe and you are teaching your child that s/he does not need to follow rules.
- Treat others with respect: If you get stuck in traffic, try arriving earlier the next day. It is not school staff’s, crossing guard’s, security officer’s, or anyone else’s fault if you are running late. There are many options to prevent getting caught in traffic. We will not tolerate disrespecting any staff or community members, inadvertently modeling and teaching your child unwanted behaviors.
- Pick Up
- We need a uniform procedure that everyone knows and follows.
- Students are walked to gates.
- Students MUST wait at gates, NOT on playground or at lockers.
- Students who walk, must leave campus immediately.
- When gates close, students MUST sit at lunch benches in shade and cool breeze and begin working on homework. We have a playground aide stationed there with a radio.
- All of these steps ensure that we know where your children are when you arrive to pick them up.
- The bigger plan of drive through pick up is being worked on. That plan works if cars can pull right up to a gate. That is not possible because of the physical layout of both HM gates. We are working on options, but for now, grades TK-3, parents will have to get out of their cars: 4th and 5th grade parents may park down the street and communicate where they are with their child.
- Behavior Expectations assemblies were a success. Mr. Bugbee met with all grades to discuss behavior and playground expectations. All students know where to go, where to NOT go, where to play, HOW to play, where to eat, where to find shade, etc. Please ask your student to tell you what we discussed.
- Teachers are well on their way to a great year!
Eldridge Cleaver, an American writer and political activist one said, “There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.”
Thank you again to all of our school staff and to our volunteers for helping to make our community the best that it can be.